Noise Mitigation Community Overview
The Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL) Noise Mitigation Plan- Overview
Broward County (County) has begun working to expand the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL). This Runway 9R/27L Expansion Project is managed by the Broward County Aviation Department (BCAD), which is also responsible for administering the noise mitigation measures approved by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). Details of the FAA requirements can be found in the Record of Decision (ROD) for the Development and Expansion of Runway 9R/27L and other associated Airport Projects at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport, issued by the FAA in December 2008.
On October 25, 2011, the Broward County Board of County Commissioners ("Board") approved a Noise Mitigation Plan for the expansion of Runway 9R/27L and authorized the Director of Aviation to: (i) forward the approved Plan to the FAA for review and approval, and (ii) conform the Noise Mitigation Plan to any requirements of the FAA's approval.
On February 16, 2012 and May 7, 2012, the FAA provided comments to that Noise Mitigation Plan, requiring modifications to the Plan, which have been made.
The ROD details the environmental impacts associated with the expansion of Runway 9R/27L and other airfield improvements. Once the expansion is completed, aircraft noise levels over residential areas located within the City of Dania Beach to the west and south of the airport are predicted to increase.
The following voluntary programs will mitigate the expected higher noise level impacts on residents near the new runway:
- Voluntary Sound Insulation of Single-Family and Eligible Multi-Family Units, Located within the 65+ DNL 2020 Ultimate Noise Contour and Adjacent Areas
- Voluntary Acquisition of the Marshalls Everglade Mobile Home Park and Ocean Waterway Mobile Home Park
- Voluntary Sales Assistance with Conveyance and Release Agreement obtained, for Single-Family and Eligible Multi-Family Units Located within the 65+ DNL 2020 Ultimate Noise Contour
Noise Mitigation Plan Highlights
- Voluntary Participation
- 2,073 Impacted Residential Units
- Estimated Cost -$250 Million
- Sound Insulation - $116 Million
- Mobile Home Acquisition - $64 Million
- Sales Assistance or CAR Program - $70 Million